Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Maeser The House on the Hill "The Sequel"

Maeser The House On The Hill 

"The Sequel"


So I wasn't planning on really doing anything to the exterior because of a lack in funds. But one day we had a ridiculous hail storm and it destroyed neighborhoods. I called the homeowners insurance and had them send their adjuster out to asses the damage. The roof was totaled and then depreciated for age and all the west facing siding had holes punched through it so they accounted for replacing that.  I of course didn't want to replace it with siding. I wanted something that would withstand another crazy storm. I had a deductible and was offered the funds to do the work myself. So the payment of the insurance was enough for me to re roof the house as well as change the entire house to a cement board siding. Also known as hardi board. I t was nice to tear it apart because underneath was missing any type of moisture barrier. It was just stuck over the plywood. I tore all the siding off and wrapped in a felt tar paper to act as a moisture barrier. There were also places where when the addition of the garage was put on they had half covered electrical boxes. I removed and terminated those leads" Fire Hazard" to prevent any hazards. on the porch I framed out the boring simple 4x4s into tapered columns. 














I had a crappy rotting deck here so we ripped it out and poured concrete. The good parts of the deck turned in to a rail fence around the property.














 I bid out the painting for this one because I didn't feel that I had the time to do it. After getting the bid from the locals in a Oil Field town of over $7000 I decided I had plenty of time to do it myself. 

The total cost for materials was around $3500-4000 for the hardi board.The paint and caulking was about $500. The roofing materials were in the range of $3000 as well. So for around $8000 I changed the look completely and was able to make some good upgrades, as well as, fix a lot of mistakes made by the person who did the original addition. I fixed all the electrical issues and fixed a lot of out of plumb walls. 

I loved how this house turned out. I love the color scheme I ended up with. Plan on seeing some Hardi on my other house.-The Little House on Light House Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drm Properties LLC. delivered straight to your inbox

* indicates required