Saturday, April 30, 2016

Lighthouse Lane basement bedroom

Hailey's Bedroom


So I have had Hailey's room framed for some time. As well as the heat duct run and the rough electrical. I haven't really made much progress because of an issue I discovered from the original builder. When framing the home they ran a TJI along the edge of the green plate which left about a six inch void against the foundation to the rim board. The problem with this is that when they insulated they didn't have access to this void leaving a air pocket that would allow cold air in in the winter and warm air in in the summer. The other issue is the builder decided to run the water line to the toilet in this space. Luckily the basement is warm enough in the winter that we didn't have any frozen or broken pipes. But now that the basement is finished there isn't any warm air to keep it from freezing after I insulate the ceiling as well as sheetrock the room. 



I have been calling around and searching for an insulation company for a while now but haven't had any luck getting anyone to call me back, Which is weird since usually they come knock on your door every other month to try to sell you insulation for the rebates offered from the local gas company. 

I grabbed an ad from Lowes one day when I was picking up some stuff for another job. They were offering blow in insulation for a fairly good price with free rental of the blow in machine. I decided that for $10 it was worth doing myself. and it only took me maybe and hour. 

First I drilled some holes down the TJI to give my blower hose access, Then I started at one end and as I filled the insulation to that hole I covered up that hole and moved to the next. It didn't take long and I was able to go down the entire length of the basement. 









I am curious if this will have any effect on my heat bill in the future or the cooling bill for that matter. I ordered a sheetrock lift so I should be rocking here pretty soon. I know Hailey is excited to have her own room. 


Thanks for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Drm Properties LLC. delivered straight to your inbox

* indicates required