Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Making more room in the garage ? Or more places to put stuff.

The Beginning of The Shed

It is quite possible I am a hoarder. As long as Krissy's car can fit in the garage then the rest of the space is mine right? Wrong! It turns out the whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine rule still applies. I have a mess to clean up. With the work that I do, I often take apart many homes and am told to just throw things away. I have a hard time throwing away stuff that I find may be useful. With that I will show you how I built a $10,000 shed for a fraction of the cost. On this house that we were chasing dry rot and redoing decks, windows, doors and cedar siding; we removed about 2200 sqft of redwood. This redwood came home with me. Along with some cedar beams and other random wood. 

 I checked with the county before I began to make sure I stayed with in the limit of square footage to insure that I didn't need a permit. That Square footage is 200 sqft. I went 12x16 on my shed which equals 198 sqft.  I then checked with all zoning laws for my area to make sure the shed was in compliance. 3' from each lot line.After confirmation I Ran some string lines, set level lines, and found  square. I then set all my foundation blocks. the lot has a slight slope so you can see where my depths change on the blocks. 

I took the redwood and cut them to length. I framed the entire floor out of the redwood. Since it is so close to the ground and it was free. What better wood to use than one that is used commonly in the weather. 

With it all level and set I then Had to purchase some 3/4 Tongue and groove plywood. (no pic) I'm lame I  know.  I sheeted the entire floor. Snapped lines for the walls and started framing the walls. I had decided to build rake walls. instead of building trusses. I didn't have any studs so that was the next thing I had to buy. I built a beam pocket into each rake wall to support my salvaged beam. This beam came off another project where we had replaced a bunch of cedar beams and it had a curve cut into the bottom. If you look close you can see it.

I framed the roof on a 8/12 pitch with 2 x 6's I had lying around at two foot on center. I had originally drawn a dormer and liked the look so I built another rake wall just short enough to give me the required 2/12 slope as required by code for shingles. 

I salvaged some windows and doors from that same project I mentioned before. This is where the big savings came from. The french doors that I used need some adjustment and had some weathering. I t also needed a new support under the threshold. With some work I was able to recondition them. The replacement we bought for the house was $5500. Jeld-wen aluminum clad high efficiency doors. The windows were another $2000.  If the doors look familiar I had quite a few sets. I took the fixed panel of some of those and made a barn door Click Here for my bathroom.

I have left over Hardi panel and shingles from another project. Coming up next I will install the Hardi and get it roofed. I will be doing all copper flashing (salvaged from a job) and paint.  Stay tuned for part 2 and maybe a part three.

Thanks for stopping by  If you like what I have you can smash the subscribe button and follow me on my social media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drm Properties LLC. delivered straight to your inbox

* indicates required